Saturday, November 24, 2018

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: Dear Evan Hansen

People like to talk about "decade defining musicals." RENT categorized the 90's, Hair had the 60's, etc. Despite the fact that Hamilton is probably be the most influential/important/groundbreaking musical to come out this decade, I stand pretty resolute that Dear Evan Hansen is the musical that has defined the 2010's. This is a very powerful show talking about some very current and important things and I'm so excited by the way the world has embraced it. Even though Ben Platt never got to sing Evan Hansen on the parade, Noah Gavin was on the Macy's Star last year to tug on our heart strings and now Taylor Trench is here to do the same (before we usher in the incredibly awesome and AGE APPROPRIATE Andrew Feldmen to the role).



In general, I've been a bit disappointed by the lack of variety in the songs DEH has chosen to share with us. We hear a lot of "Waving Through A Window" and a fair bit of "You Will Be Found," but hardly anything else. Therefore, I was pretty bummed to see that they were performing You Will Be Found, especially because it's the exact same song they performed on last year's parade. That being said, the moment the song started I remembered that I've actually always wanted to see this song live because I was really curious as to what it looked like visually. Turns out, it was actually really different from what I expected, but I really liked it. Maybe it's just this video, but the audio seemed a little off, it almost felt like the cast was lip synching (which I don't think is the truth) and it is still kind of weird to me how the "social media voices" are a track (I had kind of hoped they were live ensemble members). That being said, the visuals were really moving. The projection wasn't as "on the nose" as I was expecting and while that was a surprise, I think it did a lot to invoke the haze that social media can create. It was also incredibly moving to see all of the performers reacting to what they were seeing, I mean, who knew that Michael Park would be the one to make me cry in this song, I DIDN'T KNOW HE WAS IN IT!!! So, while there is a part of me that would've liked to see a more obscure song, I'm really glad that I got to see this one the way it's done in the show. And I'll maintain that this song should be heard by as many people as possible for what it says and what it stands for. Good work Broadway!

No comments:

Post a Comment