Thursday, November 22, 2018

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parde: My Fair Lady

My Fair Lady has never done too much for me. It's got a nice history and you have to appreciate Lerner & Lowe, Julie Andrews, and everyone that makes the original production show special, but I thought this revival was nice enough. Lauren Ambrose did a great job, but I was REALLY excited when they announced Laura Benanti taking over. I was psyched for this performance because it was my first time to see how she did in the role.

The song itself was ok. When "Eliza Dolittle" first came on screen, the guy sitting next to me said "Oh, is this the new Mary Poppins?" which was honestly not too far from the truth. The song they did was nice, but perhaps a bit low energy. Nevertheless, I think it was a good choice. They didn't want to pull out all the stops with something like "Get Me To The Church on Time" so I think this was a good balance of choreography and ensemble but still with the star power of their new leading lady. All in all, this is as good as I could expect from the show. Well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment