Thursday, November 22, 2018

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: The Prom

I had the opportunity to see this show during the Atlanta tryouts a few years ago and I have to say I didn't particularly care for it (In my opinion they over simplify some complicated topics and there's some tonal discrepancies and some entire moments that don't fit and are just there to be "zazzy"). That being said, I think it's an interesting show and I'm interested to see how it's received. Whether they planned it or not, it's coming in hot on the heels of shows like Dear Evan Hansen and Be More Chill that also tackled similar themes of surviving high school in the modern age of social media (but those guys did it a little better than The Prom) and I'm interested to see if that will help it or hurt it. But that's definitely the audience they need to play to, so I was interested to see how they appealed to them with this number.

The song was a great choice! The lyrics were sufficiently cheesy ("It's time to build a prom/A prom for everyone" is a little on the nose to me) but there was lots of energy. The kids did a great job and it looks like they were having fun and brought the hype. I'll be honest, I'm a little surprised they ended with the kiss (especially considering the flack they got from the Kinky Boots number a few years ago), but I'm proud of them for the choice. I think this song really is a great representation of what the show is: kinda cheesy, pretty energetic, and quite gay. I still don't think I'd want to see the show, but this number was a good time and I think the producers made some smart choices. So good on ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment