Thursday, November 23, 2017

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: Dear Evan Hansen

LET'S TAKE A MOMENT TO THANK THE WORLD FOR DEAR EVAN HANSEN NOT DOING WAVING THROUGH A WINDOW AGAIN.

Ok, now for this performance. They picked the perfect song (that they SHOULD have done for the Tony's). As far as I'm concerned it's the Broadway anthem for this generation and a great message to share on Thanksgiving.  It was interesting to see a Broadway performance this stripped down. They were wearing what could easily pass as street clothes and, since the DEH set is so heavily based on projections and lighting, there wasn't any set to be brought in. They even gave the cast the mics that they give the singers on the float instead of having them do it as they would in the show.  I'll be honest, I think they were still lip synching (because I think they have to in that space) but it did give the song a more natural feel.  Also, I'm proud of my boy Noah Galvin (who I've thought was awesome since The Burnt Part Boys) finally making it big and leading his cast through a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade number! He was a little shaky starting up, but he killed it.  It was really nice to see the cast give an important (if a little underwhelming) performance. DEH is selling out like crazy and they didn't need this performance to sell tickets, this was for us...and I appreciate that.


No comments:

Post a Comment