Thursday, November 23, 2017

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: Come From Away


So I know NBC is the place to watch the Parade and that's what we do too.  But while NBC is covering the Broadway shows performing on the star, CBS has shows perform in their home theater and they broadcast those while they wait for the parade to reach them.

Now I'm a huge fan of Come From Away so I was excited to see them perform anything, but I was definitely expecting "Welcome to the Rock" or "Me and the Sky."  I was pleasantly surprised to get to see them perform a number I've NEVER seen before: "38 Planes (Reprise)/Somewhere in the Middle of Nowhere." I 100% understand why this isn't the song they usually perform at public appearances, while it's got a good energy and momentum and I feel does capture the spirit of the show pretty well, it does kind of catch up in the middle of these characters and can be best appreciated if you know the rest of the show that comes behind it.  As someone who does know the rest of the show, it was so cool to get to see the story I've been hearing for so long.  As always, Jen Colella and the whole cast killed it, the choreography (if you can call it that? Maybe just stylized movement) was awesome and I was just so excited the entire time.  I maintain that this is one of the coolest shows to come to Broadway in a long time and it keeps me excited about what kind of great art we can expect for years to come! This show has a perfect thanksgiving message and this song captured that beautifully. Everyone should see this.


No comments:

Post a Comment