Thursday, November 26, 2020

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: Mean Girls

This will be the 3rd time Mean Girls has performed (to some degree) for the Macy's Parade. To be honest, I'm not sure any other Broadway show (we don't count the Radio City Rockettes, do we?) can boast that kind of track record. As you can see from past blogs, I was pretty pleased with their first year's performance of Fearless (one of my favorite songs from the show that I keep forgetting about) and pretty disappointed in last year's performance of Here's Where You Belong (one of the worst numbers in the show that they really should stop performing). However, I was thinking about what they might do this morning, and I started to get excited as I realized that they'd probably be insentivized to do a song without the whole cast (counter the normal Parade performances MO) and they'd probably want to show off Renee Rapp (a true American hero) as Regina. I had my money on World Burn, but I was equally excited to see Someone Gets Hurt.
Ok, so, in hindsight, I wasn't quite as thrilled with that performance choice as I thought I was going to be. I mean, I am thanking my Broadway stars that it wasn't Here's Where You Belong (AGAIN), but it was no Fearless. For one thing, it was less "socially distanced" than I kind of expected, but that's in line with the rest of the performances this year. But I also forgot how little this song had to do with...you know...anything. I know that I'm a bit weird in that I like the story songs more than anyone else, but I had forgotten how much of Mean Girls' music is the kind of "stop the story to sing" kind of stuff. However, if there's anyone I would stop the story to listen to, it's Renee Rapp. Man, she killed it. She is a true star and I'm so excited for the career she has ahead of her. Also, how fun is it that she and Anthony got to perform on the same parade? Man this is a fun industry!

No comments:

Post a Comment