Thursday, November 26, 2020

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: Jagged Little Pill

I know that I spend a lot of time hating on Jukebox musicals, but to be honest, Jagged Little Pill is starting to turn me around. Am I upset that 3 out of the 4 original musicals to open this year (AND, IN WHAT MIGHT BE THE MOST ANGER INDUCING TONY AWARDS SNUB EVER, THE ONLY ONES NOMINATED FOR ANYTHING!!!!) are jukebox musicals? Yes. However, I'd venture to say this may be the best Jukebox musical we've seen since American Idiot (That's right Moulin Rouge, I know what I said). I've enjoyed everything I've heard and seen from this show and it's my pick for the best new musical of the year, so I was excited to see what they have for us.
I'm a little bummed they picked this song, just because we already saw it on Good Morning America, but man, it's a good one. This song is a strong ending to the show and does a good job of showcasing the whole cast. Unforutnately, I didn't care for this performance as much as that one. I'm wondering if they were actually singing that live (they made a point to use conspicuous mics and the mixing didn't really sound the best). If that's the case, then I have to give them a little more respect, but it was still a little underwelming. Similarly, they didn't really "fill the space" as well as the Hamilton cast did, and the whole thing looked kind of awkwardly placed. That being said, I still had a great time. I love this show and it's message and the representation it promotes and I just hope it has all the success it can. If anyone else wants to see more, you can check out the benefit concert they're streaming on December 13th. Also, Lauren Patten is a superstar and I'm so proud of Antonio Cipriano and the great work he's doing in his Broadway debut (he's another Jimmy kid that I'm proud to have loved before he made it big), but the boy needs a hair cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment