Thursday, November 26, 2020

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: Hamilton

Crazy that Hamilton hasn't performed on the Parade yet, but what a way to start! This is undoubtedly one of the most important shows to come to Broadway this millenium and this summer, they reminded the world why they're so well beloved. As much as my inner hipster sometimes wants to turn up my nose at Hamilton, I do usually have a great time watching them perform, and this performance was no different.
I'll say it, I'm psyched about the way they are staging this year's performances, doubly psyched that we got to see Joshua Henry as Burr, and really excited to see this whole new cast. I think especially with the proshot on Disney+, so many people are going to have that original cast burned in thier mind, but there have been so many talented people singing this score over the past few yeras and we're going to see even more in the years to come, so it's exciting to see new performers and new choices captured like this. I thought their performance was great.The song choice was a solid one, and, weirdly, Hamilton works really well on the streets of New York. The set and lighting of the theater are beautiful and add a lot, but something seeing them perform outdoors just felt like the right kind of juxtaposition. It just adds a new layer to the whole "the story of yesterday as told by the people of today" concept and I thought it was really beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. Great performance! I loved seeing strong, independent, 18th century women.

    ReplyDelete