Thursday, November 26, 2020

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: Dr. Seuss's How The Grinch Stole Christmas

I wasn't prepared for this one, but what a fun surprise! I had heard about the NBC telecast of this show and wasn't, like, super excited for it (I don't love the show and I also don't love Matthew Morrison), but, like, I'm going to watch it. In general, my issue with this show is that the music was not super interesting. There was really only one particularly catchy original song as far as I'm concerned, but the good news is, they chose that one to perform. This song is a grand old time (which is why, if memory serves, it appears, like, 5 times throughout the show) and captures exactly what a Doctor Seuss musical should be. But the reason to watch this show has never been the music, it's the visuals and the nostalgia and the performances, and this production seems to have some of that working for them. I'm not going to lie, I don't support the Matthew Morrison pick (come on guys, he's a tenor), but the rest of the cast was a delight. The kids in this performance were a lot of fun, I'm excited about Denis O’Hare as Old Max, and the production quality here seems great (those costumes and sets were beautiful). So, like, I'm not expecting to be completely thrilled with this performance, but I'm excited it's happening, and confident it won't be NBC's worst live telecast musical.

No comments:

Post a Comment