Thursday, November 24, 2016

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: Paramour

So Paramour has had an interesting journey.  We actually saw it on a float in last year's parade, and while there was lots of money and hype put into it, critically it hasn't done very well.  I'm still very interested in it, but I'm having trouble getting my mind around it.  I haven't been able to find a soundtrack, and all the videos seem to be the same kind of thing.  This performance falls into that as well.  "Hollywood Wiz" and the title song are the only numbers I've ever really been able to hear in the show...which makes me wonder if there's much depth outside of that.  Now, I thought this performance was super cool.  I loved the acrobatics, the unicycling, the Chinese yoyo, all of it, I thought it was a stellar performance.  But this, in conjunction with the rest of what I've seen, makes me now if the show has any substance behind the spectacle.

I have to point out though, I'm so VERY excited that Ryan Vona is staring in this cast.  Not to sound too creepy, but I've been a fan of this kid since he was in hischool and I think it's so freaking cool that he's staring in a Broadway show now.  I expect/hope we see lots more amazing work from this guy in the years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment