Thursday, November 24, 2016

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: The Color Purple

The last performance of the day was The Color Purple (performing on their home stage and aired on CBS) and it might have been my favorite.  The producers were smart in choosing to make this a "CBS" performance because there wasn't enough dancing for it to make sense on the Macy's star.  They also made smart choices on songs by performing a medley the opening and closing number which featured both the whole ensemble and the massive powerhouse of talent that is Cynthia Erivo.  The songs were powerful and gave a great window into what the show actually was, soulful, deep, and apologetically beautiful.  I'll admit that I'm not a huge fan of this show, but I've been repeatedly impressed by this cast/production and this performance further swayed me that this production earned it's Tony Awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment