Thursday, November 24, 2016

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: Cats

I'm just gonna say it.  I like cats.  I know that nobody else does, but I think it's fun.  That being said, I maintain that there's no point reviving something unless you do something different with it.  And I see absolutely no evidence that they're doing anything remotely different with this show.  The costumes were almost identical to the movie (except Grizabella), the choreography (from Hamilton's Andy Blankenbuehler) was hardly distinguishable from the original, and Grizabella was the only character they seemed to do anything remotely different with.  Now, I'm not saying it's a bad performance, I thought they did excellent and I would love to watch the show.  But I can't say that it belongs on Broadway, and this performance kind of confirms that.

No comments:

Post a Comment