Thursday, November 23, 2023

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: & Juliet

We all know that Jukebox musicals aren't really my thing, and honestly, pop music often isn't either, so by all accounts and purposes, & Juliet maybe doesnt make sense to be something I enjoy, but if we're being honest, this show is a ton of fun, and I enjoy most of their performances. I like the shakespeare of it all, I like most of the cast, I like the dance style, it's all just a blast, so I was pretty excited for this performance and think it's a great choice to start off this year's performances.
I was excited by the song choice. I hadn't seen this one performed before and I do like this song on the soundtrack. That being said, I was a tad underwhelmed by this performance. The choreography was excellent as always, but seemed a little small for the stage. And the song kind of falls into the trap many pop jukebox musicals fall into, which is that it doesn't really build or do anything, you just kind of repeat the chorus over and over again. This song has the potential to include an arc with Francois's character, but I thought his performance was a little understated. So, I don't know, everything was fine, and I still think the show would be fun for most asual broadway audiences to see, but this particular performance was a little lower energy than I might have hoped...

No comments:

Post a Comment