Thursday, November 23, 2023

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: Back to the Future

I don't have super strong feelings about this show. I listened to the London soundtrack an enjoyed a few of the new numbers (most everything George does in the show is excellent, most everything Dr. Scott does is not so great), but feel mostly mediocre about the show. I will say, the folks I know who have seen it say it's pretty fun, mostly because of the production value and the nostalgia (to quote my sister, "It's a great show for dads") which doesn't necessarily always lend itself to a parade performance, but I was still excited. Partially because I do enjoy Roger Bart and I'm proud of Casey Likes (a Jimmy Award kid) for his second Broadway lead in somewhat disappointing jukebox adjacent musicals.
For one thing, they really kept us waiting for this one. Instead of stacking all the performances at the beginning, they really strung this one along, but it finally came. I was banking on them doing Power of Love (their goto), but instead they did a medley of songs to feature their two stars, which is good...unfortunately, I don't really care for either of the songs. "It Works" has never been as funny as it wants to be for me and "Back In Time" does still kind of belong as credits music in my opinion. The show also does loose a little without all the scenic and lighting effects, so this might not be the best showcase of what they do, but they seemed to be having a good time, so I guess that's an ok way to end this year's parade.

No comments:

Post a Comment