Thursday, November 24, 2022

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: Funny Girl

So when they announced that Funny Girl was performing on the parade, we all knew that they'd have to do this song. It's the most famous song in the show, and one of the few parade specific songs in the broadway canon, so it just makes sense. And like, objectively, I suppose it was a pretty good performance and a pretty good opening to the parade. In some ways it feels like it barely counts as a Broadway performance, because I wouldn't be surprised if, in some previous parade, they just got a different celebrity (or maybe just Lea Michele) to sing this song without a dancing ensemble behind her. But nonetheless, they did it.
I'm going to stay out of the conversation about Lea Michele in the role (if anyone's interested, you can read someone else's thoughts on it here). But I will say that she sang it well, and I appreciate them using the ensemble to spice it up at least a little. It didn't make me want to see the show any more, but I suppose it probably was the best they could've done.

No comments:

Post a Comment