Friday, November 26, 2021

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: Wicked

So I have a well documented complicated history with Wicked, but I'm now at a place in my life where I can confidently call myself a big fan (if not a super fan). I think it's an important show and just a very darn good show. It was significant in getting me into musical theater and I am greatful for all the people around the world it's continuing to inspire. While I'm a little sad we didn't get another new musical in this slot (I had my fingers crossed for Mrs. Doubtfire), I do think it's good to honor the casts of long running broadway shows and while I know this was only done to promote the upcoming movie, I'm glad they featured the current Broadway cast instead of trying to shoehorn in Ariana Grande and Cynthia Erivo
This was such a fun performance! Great song choice that features the ensemble and brings a great energy while also capturing the heart of the story, which is the friendship between these two women. I'm not particularly familiar with Jennifer DiNoia and Ginna Claire Mason, the two young ladies in the cast now, but I thought they were both excellent. I know this shouldn't surprise me, but it's always cool to see stuff like this with (relatively) young people in the roles? Maybe it's because I'm thinking of Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth as they are now and not how they were when this opened (2003?) but this cast felt like they actually were college students on a fun spring break trip and that was very fun for me. I was unsettled by the bobble head figures, not going to lie, but aside from that, gold stars all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment