Friday, November 26, 2021

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: Moulin Rouge!

I recognize that Moulin Rouge! is a very good show despite the fact that I have trouble getting excited about it. The arrangement of the new songs is clever, the cast is super solid (and I was excited to see Natalie Mendoza in the role) and everyone I know who has seen the show has really enjoyed it. It's a good show, I know it is, but I can't help but feeling kinda "meh" about it most of the time.
This performance was good. I really liked the dancing (a few of the moments were giving the Rockettes a run for their money) and I thought it was a good song choice to showcase the mashups and the energy of the show. Unfortunately, this show's lifeblood is it's spectacle, and when you stripped that away and put them on the streets of New York, I started to get kinda bored. What makes Moulin Rouge! work, as far as I'm concerned, is the color and glitz and glamour and hugeness of it all, so a performance without set pieces in grey-scale costumes did seem like kind of a letdown. There have been performances of this show that have made me want to see the full thing...but I wouldn't necessarily say this was one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment