Friday, November 26, 2021

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: Six

I've gone up and down in my thoughts of this show. On the one hand, the songs are stellar. The lyrics are insanely clever and the melody's incredibly catchy. There are two skip tracks as far as I'm concered (sorry Anna of Cleaves), but every other number is really a jam! I'm also really invested in this cast as they're full of Broadway debuts and the shutdown happened right on the eve of their opening. I still maintain that it works better as a cruise ship/theme park show than a Broadway musical, but I am glad that it was written and glad it's getting an audience on both sides of the pond.
I mean, yeah, of course they were going to do this song. I'll be honest, I'm a little bored with this medley being the one thing that every cast of this show performs for showcases, but it doesw make the most sense and, to be fair, it's a really good song. These women gave it everything they had and performed like the well oiled machine they are, but I guess I'm a tad bored with it because I'd seen it so many times before. I also think this show works better in the UK than it does on Broadway (nixing the accents was a loss I think, and a lot of this probably means more if people are more familiar with these women), and I think it works even less well on the New York city street. That being said, the costumes continue to be stunning, I thought it was cool they brought the Ladies in Waiting (the band) out there even though I'm relatively certain the music for these performances is pre-recorded, and I thought they did a great job with this number. If anyone hadn't seen it before, this would tell them exactly what the show is.

No comments:

Post a Comment