Friday, November 26, 2021

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: Waitress

The Macy's Square performances will always be my favorite, but I do like the CBS performances a good deal, and it's always fun to see the shows performing in their home theaters. Waitress as a show is one of those that, like, is fine, but I can't help but be surprised that it's had the staying power it has. Like, don't get me wrong, the music is kind of catchy and the story is kind of sweet, but it's not really what I would think of a as a long running show that would last 5 years on the boards. One of the ways they've accomplished this no doubt is by putting in big stars like Sara Bareilles, Jeremy Jordan, Todrick Hall and even Al Roker, which makes it feel a little gimicky. But I guess if people are having fun with the show, I won't stop them.
Waitress has done the parade twice before, and I think they even performed this same song on the CBS broadcast the last time they did it so..that's kind of a bummer. I don't think this is a great song choice to be honest, I'd much prefer one of the group numbers, and if you're going to do a quirky love song, give us one of the Oggie/Dawn ones, because that's just more fun as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure this choice is influenced by showcasing their stars and maybe by saving production costs by only bringing in the two of them, but it was still a little dissapointing. I think I'm especially disappointed because I was looking forward to seeing Ciara Renee, Joshua Henry, and Nik Dodani who have all recently joined the cast, but I guess they haven't started yet? Anyway, those dissapointments aside, this was nice. I thought Erich Bergen delivered the song really well (and I'm a bit of a connoisseur for awkward quirkly love songs) so that was pleasant enough I guess. Didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth, but perhaps a bland one.

No comments:

Post a Comment