Thursday, November 28, 2019

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: Ain't Too Proud - The Life and Times of the Temptations

So, if you know me, you are aware that Jukebox musicals (particularly bio jukebox musicals) are not really my jam, and I'm afraid Ain't Too Proud is included in that generalization. I do think it's one of the better bio-musicals out there, but it's still kind of hard for me to get too into it. That being said, I thought this was a pretty good performance.



They had great energy and synchronization that'll give the Rockettes a run for their money, and the medley they picked was a good idea (my dad was here bopping along to the whole thing being like, "Have you guys not heard this song? This is a good song!") My issue with the show is kind of that it works better as a quick medley than it does a full show, but, that does mean it makes a good medley. People who are fans of the temptation will see this and thing, yeah, I'd like to see that on Broadway, and I suppose that's the point, so as far as that goes, I guess it was a successful performance.

I will say, I don't know if it was the right choice for the opening number. I really liked the original Luca Padovan number last year and I think it's fun when they use other shows or properties that have more to do with the parade itself. This felt like they just cut the opening number and instead started right out of the gate with the Broadway performances. And, like, I appreciate the effort, but I do miss the original opening.


No comments:

Post a Comment