Thursday, November 28, 2019

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: Beetlejuice

As I looked over the shoulder of the hosts and saw the black umbrellas and Alex Brightman I was like, "Oh, they're doing the opening again...that's ok I guess." And then when Day-o began my sister and I made eye contact "Oh, they're just doing the Tony performance again." Long time blog readers know that's a bit of a pet peeve of mine. I like to see new stuff.

That being said, one of my favorite thing about Beetlejuice's live performances, is EVERY time they do "The Whole Being Dead Thing" the lyrics change. From the View, to the Tony Awards, to Good Morning America, to the Winter Garden theater, to the Cast Recording, there have been so many new lyrics that Alex Brightman has had to remember, and the Macy's Parade was no different.



I loved these new lyrics, it was more different than usual and that was kind of fun. Alex is a delight and I love seeing how he plays the comedy in these moments and I think one of the cool advantages of doing lyrics SO different is now people are going to have google the show because they'll be like "there's no way they sing that in the show" and that's a success.

I'm so excited this show has found success (even though I did feel a little sad to see my boy Rob McClure absent in this performance) and I hope it keeps running and making people laugh and cry and hope and cope for a while longer.

...And I hope they one day release an album of just every version of the opening number from this show.


No comments:

Post a Comment