Thursday, November 28, 2019

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: Tina: The Tina Turner Musical

One of my favorite things about the parade is that they span Tony Seasons. We usually see mostly folks from the previous Tony Awards, but sometimes we see long running shows with new casts and sometimes we see the next year's big thing which is kind of fun. This year's performers were a little stacked towards this year's Tony's, the Tina performance was the only one that broke this trend. Normally, I would be more excited about that, but, and I know this may shock you, I'm not thrilled that the one we get to see is a biopic jukebox musical.


The performance was alright I guess. If you like Tina Turner's music then this might inspire you to see the show, but, as a theater person, theater that caters to non theater people is always a bit of a disappointment. Half way through the performance, my folks who were cooking in the kitchen asked us to let them know when the next Broadway performance was happening, we told them it's already happening, they walked in to the living room to see and responded "are you sure?"

I'm sure that this show will have some great performances, and I'm sure that Tina Turner lived an interesting life, and if they had taken this opportunity to show us the fun way they they use her music to tell her story, that'd be cool. But it was honestly hard to differentiate this performance from Celine Dion's song from the studio. The singing was nice, but I feel like the performance belonged on a float, not the star.

No comments:

Post a Comment