Thursday, November 28, 2019

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: Hadestown

I probably have to start by saying Hadestown is the best. If you haven't heard Hadestown yet, do that now, and then you can come back and read this after. It's a lovely show with complexity and diversity in character and theme and song and yet it's so interconnected and every time I see another live performance I'm reminded that it's just pretty dang good. And this performance was no different



I figured they wouldn't do Wait for Me again, but I wasn't sure exactly what it was they were going to do, but my sister totally called their song choice. And as I was watching it, I realized that this is exactly what it needed to be! Livin' It Up On Top is not only a great high energy number that uses the whole ensemble and is dance heavy and is lighthearted and fun, but it also has themes and messages that really do fall in line with the season. I get chills every time I hear Orpheus's toast: "And if noone takes too much, we will always have enough, she will always fill our cups, and we will always raise them up. To the world we dream about, and the one we live in now."

This year, I'm thankful for the world we live in now, but I'm even more thankful for the one we dream about.

No comments:

Post a Comment