Thursday, November 28, 2013

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: The Sound of Music

(This is the last live one, so I get to spend more time on it :) )

This performance took me by surprise (because Wikipedia didn't list this in the Broadway performances).  However, I'm not against the idea of them performing.  While it's no secret that I usually don't care for Rodgers and Hammerstein (and, while Sound of Music is better than most, it's still not great).  However, I'm always a fan of these "one night only" performances because they always get huge talent and the performances are usually pretty spectacular, and this is no different. Even with my disposition against The Sound of Music, this show is featuring Audra MacDonald, Laura Benanti, Christian Borle, Christian Noll, (oh yeah, and Carrie Underwood) and is going to be pretty cool.  However, that being said, their performance was less than invigorating.  I mean, their performance of "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" was good, but it just should've have been what they performed.  I mean, there are so many famous, wonderful group numbers in the Sound of Music (So long Goodbye, Doe A Deer, and The Lonely Goatherd come to mind), but they didn't do that...they chose a song with very little dancing that used absolutely no big stars, no cute kids, and...well..just nothing really.  I mean, yes, they didn't do a bad performance (except Ralph was a little old in my opinion) but it was just disappointing.  What made this especially disappointing, was the fact that right after this there was a commercial promoting the show where they all sang Doe a Deer (which looked really good actually).  So, I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that even if you didn't care for this performance (as I didn't) you should really still watch the live Broadcast because, if nothing else....CHRISTIAN BORLE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment